Warrender Swim Centre RefurbishmentFrom time to time, we need to close a venue to give it the ‘tlc’ it deserves and to ‘future-proof’ our buildings. Like a number of our other Victorian pools, including Leith Victoria and Dalry Swim Centre, which have recently received similar attention, Warrender Swim Centre is closed for ‘lifecycle’ treatment.
Its doors closed for major refurbishment on 24 December 2020 and at this stage. Our investment will ensure that this heritage Victorian pool will continue to be the gem at the heart of its community, continuing to serve the citizens of Edinburgh for many years to come.
Throughout 2021 we’ve faced resourcing issues and our building projects have been beset with delays due to Covid and supply chain issues (it’s a similar story throughout the country). We continue to adapt and respond as best we can to the numerous challenges that come our way and which we have no control over. Unfortunately there continues to be uncertainty around the completion date for the work at Warrender Swim Centre. We will confirm dates as soon as possible and we thank you for your ongoing patience.
Where is my next nearest pool?
Your closest venue would be the Royal Commonwealth Pool.
However, if you like to swim, surrounded by beautiful Victorian architecture, then you are fortunate that Edinburgh Leisure has four other Victorian pools in its portfolio to choose from at Leith Victoria; Portobello; Glenogle Swim Centre; and Dalry Swim Centre.
What work is being completed?
- Decoration throughout, including updating the changing rooms, both wet and dry, and retiling of the poolside.
- Opening up the spectating area and adding air-cooling.
- Installation of a new sauna.
- New easy access, making it easier for customers to access the building and their activities, with the simple swipe of their membership card or fob.
- Maintenance work to the sandstone structure and roof, both in keeping with the building’s listing.
- Upgrades to the mechanical and electrical works, including improvements to the ventilation system, new lighting and installation of venue draining and a new pool plant, which will ensure the building is more energy efficient.
- New air handling throughout the building including the gym.
We will, of course, be in touch to let our customers know when Warrender Swim Centre’s refurbishment is complete and you can once again swim in the beautiful surroundings of this heritage building.